Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Hand of God

Well, here it is. Today, I was at my dead end job and I felt the presence of God and he said something akin to "what the hell are you doing?!"

A little background to set the scene. I am terribly afraid of finishing my last semester in school and officially becoming an "adult" (whatever that means). I applied and interviewed for a job and didn't get it. Fine. I have had to tell several people that "no, I did not get the job, but thanks for inquiring." Nothing boosts the ego quite like this, let me tell you. I have not applied anywhere since, despite good intentions. I'm not really sure why, I guess I am just lacking any sort of motivation. So sue me. Now we come to the hand of God.

I found myself at my usual post. I was sitting working on a paper due for class when I was informed that I was expected to make some nametags for an upcoming holiday party. Now, don't get me wrong, you people know I love anything related to the holidays, but this was ridiculous. They (I shall not name names) wanted me to cut out xeroxed copies of a cheap pencil drawing that was oversized, poorly drawn, cheap, and tacky. I cut and pasted these little ugly squares of tastelessness to posterboard and could practically feel myself not living up to my potential. I have made quite a career of not fulfilling expectations, but this was just plain wrong. I am about to have two Masters degrees and I am a glorified kindergartener? Sh*t I was never good at pasting things when I was little and my talents certainly haven't gotten better since. Was this a message from God? Was he trying to convey his utmost disappointment and horror that I am wasting any sort of knowledge on frustrating menial tasks? ugh.

Where did it go so wrong?

4 comments:

Susan said...

You are fantastic and fabulous. I am in the same situation...I wonder if I will ever get a job after this degree...and I HATE the interview process. Hang in there, kiddo.

Lora Leigh said...

God loves you, he just gets to laugh at you (and all of us) quite a bit...

What kind of job are you hunting?

Unknown said...

That's what New Year's Resolutions are for!!

katie g. said...

Thanks, ya'll! Lora Leigh - I'm looking to be a librarian - you know, every little girl's dream! Haha, no really, I actually want to work in a library. Well see. :)