Sunday, December 18, 2005

We're getting down to the finish line...

So Christmas is one week away and I am just checking in on everybody. Today, I drove from Birmingham to Nashville with Lee and then I met up at the house with my family and we went to cut down the now infamous Christmas tree. We went to our friend's farm and looked at their trees. Let me set the scene. Our family friends got into growing Christmas trees several years ago and did not really do much investigation into how one goes about accomplishing this task. Apparently, they planted the trees too close together so some of the trees did not get adequate sunlight or room to grow. The trees were also not trimmed during their initial growth so they have, um, interesting shapes. There were more than a few Charlie Brown Christmas trees. Also some really lopsided trees and some trees with branches on just one side. We searched through dozens of trees and finally picked one that was not too bad. It was pretty full and very green. We sawed it down and then hauled it home. We cut off some branches and put it in the tree stand and put it inside.

Have you ever seen National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? Remember how the tree is a bit too large for the house. Yup. Same problem. We have fairly tall ceilings, but the tree was too big so my brother cut off some of the branches at the top. I don't care if it does look a little gimpy. It's our tree.

Happy Holidays!

8 comments:

Franny said...

I totally understand you about the tree. When you're picking it out it doesn't look as big. Ours appeared to be a midget tree until we brought it home and had to take 2 feet off to make the angel fit!

Anyhow, have a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Gimpy tree? If there's one thing I've learned from animated Christmas specials, it's that all it needs is a little love.

Katy C. said...

Yay! Christmas trees for everyone this weekend. Roomie Chuck and I went and Lowesed it this weekend - 50% off all Christmas stuff - including trees! It's set up in our front room now and is a little bare in the decorations department, but the amount of gifts underneath make up for it! We also put up some lights outside which I'm going to try and get posted this evening :o) You'll love the cactus lol

Unknown said...

Katie, last night I caught the end of World News Tonight and they were on location in Manitowac, WI (call me if you want to know how it's pronounced, it's really fun to say! So is Oconomowoc!) talking about how aluminum christmas trees are back in vogue! Some of them go for oodles of $$ on eBay. So, you're in style with your little red one!! (which we're still waiting to see a picture of, by the way...)

Peyton said...

Actually, on artbeat chicago a few weeks ago, they were discussing the popularity of the aluminum christmas tree... they showed this mod shop selling them in Wicker Park. I thought of you.

You are so mod Katie....Oh, and I must insist that you leave the tree up until I am able to see it in its full glory over the holidays.

katie g. said...

No problem, Peyton. I shall leave the tree up for a few days after Christmas so you can see it. I always knew I was trendy!
Matt, you're right. All a tree needs is love and we have given ours that, plus a little trim to make it look more tapered. I am not off to see the Polar Express on Imax. WooHoo!!

Wendy said...

I think you should go out and take pictures of the trees and post them, I would love to see them

katie g. said...

Umm, I meant "now" off to see the Polar Express...