Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Observation

Is this not the most pointless endeavor? For those of you who are still in the midst of the fall/winter combo, leaves are everywhere. I find myself watching several landscapers, homeowners, and generally random people wielding the most pointless invention ever: the leaf blower. You just blow the damn things around and that is it. I drove by a guy blowing leaves off of an office park grounds and into the street. I drove by and the wind from my car blew the leaves back onto the grass. Again, he blew the leaves back into the road and once again another car came along and undid all of his pointless work. After a careful assessment I have decided to provide anyone contemplating a leaf blower purchase reasons not to do so:

1. They are just a big broken vacumn cleaner
2. They are horrible for your hearing
3. All they do is blow leaves onto someone else's property
4. They are stupid
5. I mock anyone who owns one or hires anyone to wield such an awful excuse for lawn equipment.

So what have we learned today, class?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree that the leafblower is totally pointless! We're way past the leafblower stage up here in WI though... snow plows, snow blowers, and snow shovels are all I've seen lately.

Plus, I think in Madison there's some kind of law against blowing or raking leaves into the street.

BabyMakes4 said...

In defense of the leaf blower, we use ours to blow the leaves into one general area so that it is easier to get them into the big garbage bag. I think my dad just likes using it. My mom and I have to do all the raking.

Katy C. said...

I can see both sides of the issue on leaf blowers. I find them pointless in the city because lot sizes are so small a little raking isn't going to kill you. On the other hand, you couldn't pay me to rake the leaves off my parents old place. If I didn't get the leaf blower I didn't help, but we were cleaning up an entire acre which doesn't seem like a whole lot until you try raking it. The point was to blow all the leaves to one spot in the ditch and then light it on fire :o) Woowee! A bonfire! Ahhh....the good ole days.