Sunday, December 11, 2005

Christmas Update #3

Hi Everybody! This is your regular Christmas Check-up. How is everyone coming in their quest to find the holiday spirit? Mine is going quite well. I am maintaining my current level of cheer and raising the bar a tiny bit everyday. I expect the same out of you. Happy Christmas' don't just create themselves. You have to work at it. I want to hear details on everyone's progress. Here's a little story on how my grinch (my dad) almost stole Christmas this year:

I don't get up early as a rule. I have tried to fight this natural instinct and it just ain't working. My family knows this and so do most of my friends. Anyhoo, moving on, I got up to take Teddy for his morning constitutional yesterday (Sat.) at 7:45 because he IS an early riser and his personal needs take precedence, especially if I don't want him to pee inside. As a habit, I usually check my phone when I get up for this quick jaunt outside to see if anyone has called in the night or early in the morning. Most of the times they haven't, and it was no different yesterday. I go back to sleep and finally get my lazy ass out of bed around 11. I check my phone and there is a missed phone call at 8:22 from my brother. I figure something must be up b/c he knows I would be asleep. I call and see what he wanted and it turns out my dad was trying to get him to agree to going ahead and picking out a tree and cutting it down before I got home and the call was to see if I would MIND (btw, we have friends who own a Christmas tree farm and they are letting us pick and cut down our own tree this year - something I have been looking forward to for months). My brother and his girlfriend tried to tell my dad that I would probably mind and they finally talked him out of cutting it down. Good thing. If I had come home and found a Christmas tree already up and decorated (dad's other plan for yesterday) I would have burned that motherf*cker down. period. Good thing for my bro and his girl or I would have been super irritated at dear old dad. Christmas is still intact. Not to worry.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Well up here in the hinterlands we have one very important ingredient for a merry Christmas: SNOW! We have five inches on the ground, and more is on its way. The decorations at home are at a bare minimum, but I'm almost finished buying gifts, so I feel like I'm well on my way! Now I just need to watch It's A Wonderful Life...

By the way, are you going to release the titles from your party this year so I can join in from afar?

Katy C. said...

My Christmas round up:
1) Christmas tree set up and decorated at Kyle's (no dogs or cats over there!)
2) Lauren B. gave me some Lennox bell music boxes she had duplicates of that I've put out and I'm thinking I'm going to have to start collecting more and get the years past.
3) My radio at work has been tuned to 96.5 The Christmas Station since Thanksgiving.
4) My shopping is 90% completed and w/ the exception of 1 person I at least know what I'm buying for those I haven't purchased for yet.
5) I've been watching movies with Christmas themes when I can. Love Actually is a favorite :o) as is the new Miracle in 34th Street.
6)I have accepted invitations to Christmas parties I would normally blow off and try to get out of.
7)I attended the Christmas themed bridal shower with very little pouting - who knew a Santa doll thingy from Michael's would be such a big hit?
8)Hmmm....I guess that's about it -for now at least. As soon as my boxes from Mom arrive w/ more decorations I'll fill you in on the rest!

katie g. said...

Ahhh, I totally forgot!

Here are the titles we are showing at the Annual Holiday Movie Party:

-A Peanuts Christmas
-It's a Wonderful Life
-National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Jenny and I figured that National would be good and funny. I haven't seen it in a while and it is the first time I will be showing it. Hope you approve. Feel free to add your own.

katie g. said...

Very Good Progress Katy! A++++

Peyton said...

Excellent selection of movies...
Here is my update...

- we took the 1 ft. tree out of the box, decorated it with our 3 ornaments and put it on the buffet
- hung the 2 stockings on the window latch

I have not done any shopping- that is scheduled for this weekend after my finals are over.

Susan said...

Update for Susie:

1. Finished my Christmas shopping!!1
2. Looking forward to baking soon.

Pretty bland, but it is the best I can do!

I am with you on the tree thing. Surely a case for justified arson.

BabyMakes4 said...

Lindsey's update:
Tree: up, decorated, and has gifts underneath it. Forgot to leave a spot in the back so I can get to it and water it. Will have to move everything around tonight.
Stocking: Hung from the mantle.
Shopping: very nearly finished.
Baking: So far, sugar cookies and peanut butter chip cookies. Nothing that I've shared with anyone besides my husband though. That is on the agenda for next week.
Excitement level: Very, very high. We will be spending Christmas in B'ham with my family, so I can't wait.