Monday, March 20, 2006

Quarter Life Crisis

I don't want to take credit for the terminology as it was originally Jenny's usage of the quarter life crisis. After giving props to the right person, I am hopping right in to today's topic:

I am still in Nashville and I am dreading heading back to B'ham. It is not because I don't love my own apartment, friends, general way of life in the magic city, but the thought of returning to my job is enough to send me into an eternal despair that I may never escape from. I hate my job. I think this has been clear over the past few months, but I just really need to get that out in the open. I HATE MY JOB. For the most part, I like/love the people I work with and I also like a lot of the people I come in contact with on a daily basis, but I HATE THE PAY AND THE HOURS. I just assumed that after I graduated I would have a job within the first month or two of working, but this is untrue. For the first time in my life, I actually know what I want to do, but there aren't any jobs open for what I want and I am not that interested in moving. The idea of facing endless weeks of the same old same old is almost unbearable and it is absolutely financially DISASTROUS. The thing that I find so distressing is that the days and weeks seem to be moving with turtle like speed, but I also seem to lose track of the time I have spent in this job and I figure I am going to wake up one day and be forty working the same job living on Jenny's porch (and if anyone has seen her porch, this is a bit of a daunting possibility - not her fault, but her Evil Landlord). I just can't move home. Maybe I could live in some sort of halfway home for convicts or special needs people. I think they're about on my speed.

Tomorrow: back to the old ball and chain.

Quote for the day/week: "better living through chemistry"

1 comment:

Susan said...

Katie, Just reading this e-mail sends me into terror. I feel the exact same way...only I am in a temporary job that ends in a month. I don't hate it, but I just wonder what is coming. UGH!!!!