Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A Million Little Pieces...of candy?

I just finished reading James Frey's A Million Little Pieces and I am struck by the similarities between drug addiction and food addiction. Although I have never passed out in a plate of french fries or a bowl of ice cream, Frey's descriptions of his thoughts and cravings are familiar. Food is so much more to me than just nurishment. It always has been. I know everyone has different challenges that they face, but this is by far my most daunting. I'm feeling good right now. I have been following a healthy eating plan and that takes a lot of (no pun intended) weight off my mind. I'm going to work out tonight after work and have a healthy dinner. Hope everyone else is doing well. I will be sure to think of other things besides this diet to talk about in the next few posts. Just bear with me :)

4 comments:

BabyMakes4 said...

it is so nice to know that other people feel that food addiction. i wish we could all get it in our heads that food is just nourishment. for me it is a reward, a comfort, and an escape all in one. but i never find comfort on broccoli. imagine that.

i'm rooting for you. i'll be joining the dieters club in a couple of months!!

katie g. said...

Thanks! I hear breast feeding is the best diet. Maybe I need to have a baby? Haha (I think I can hear my father screaming at this moment)

Katy C. said...

I find I have a bad habit of eating when I'm bored or because "it's time to eat" not because I'm hungry. And the fact that I work at a company that acts as a broker for food vendors does not help me any - I'm trying to avoid our office kitchen as much as possible these days.

Anonymous said...

It's all about sensation, isn't it. Flavor, richness, texture, damn you food for providing not just comfort but experience when we are gray.