Sunday, January 15, 2006

happiness

In a previous post I mentioned my latest concentration on my childhood and some of my favorite memories. With this in mind, I have read about several scientific articles that discuss the importance of writing down favorite memories and the link to happiness. I have decided to share one of my favorite stories from when I was a kid.

I was in Louisiana visiting some of my cousins when I was probably about four or five. I only have vague memories of this incident, but the following event has been rehashed and laughed about for years (as have many of my exploits when I was a kid). My cousin T. was about three years older than me and quite wise. We were about to leave after our visit and T. told me to "give her a smack." I looked at her strangely and asked her to repeat her request. Once again, she said "give me a smack." Although I thought this was a strange request, I decided to comply. I pulled my hand back and slapped her upside the head. This was a classic case of miscommunication and T. was quite unhappy with me. My father and mother were also horrified because they did not hear the exchange between T. and I and they just assumed that I had developed some sort of anger management problem and taken to domestic violence. I was later informed that "a smack" could be interpreted as a kiss. Not my problem, but I will admit that things have never really been the same between T. and I. From that day forward every time I visit this side of the family they always discuss my abusive side and my willingness to follow directions regardless of the level of inappropriateness. Next week I shall share my love of the family toilet and my interest in seeing what would and would not flush (we had a plumber on retainer)...

1 comment:

Peyton said...

I probably would have interpretted it as a "smack" on the head too.