Thursday, January 12, 2006

Can't sleep

It takes the average human seven minutes to fall alseep. It takes the average me about 10 times that long. I was in bed just moments ago letting various thoughts and worries run through my head and create a knot in my stomach. I think another part of my sleep problem is my lack of patience just to lay around waiting to fall asleep. I know that Jenny actually likes to lay around and wait to fall alseep. This is also the girl, that if she sits too still after 9 p.m., is off to dreamland in a minute and thirty seconds flat (and those dreams of hers, don't get me started). I find that I like to review the events of the day or the things I need to accomplish in the coming days while waiting for sleepiness to come. All I end up doing is getting myself stirred up and worried about a bunch of stuff I can't control. Call it the legacy of Dorothy G. (my mom) - a professional worrier if there ever was one. She loved to wring her hands (literally) and plan for the worst. If it was raining and anyone in my family went out in it, pneumonia was sure to follow. Try on a hat in a department store - you might as well invite lice to take up residence in your hair. Out after nine? Only rapists and murderers are out after this time (Is that you, Peyton?). Eating oysters during months with no "R" in the name (May, June, July, August) was just asking for some sort of debilitating neuro-muscular disease to come upon you. And on, and on, and on. The way the rest of the family dealt with this was to ridicule her (not in a mean way, more like a "she's just the crazy lady who lives in the attic" way) and flaunt our risk-filled lives. My mom always said that Lee's family (I have mentioned Lee several times in this blog) could eat poisonous mushrooms and play in the middle of the street and never get hurt, but my family could be extremely careful and risk life and limb by walking out of our front door. Sadly, D.G. had a point. I, as many of you know, am pretty accident prone (umm, two knee surgeries, hit by a car, numerous trips to the emergency room, etc) and Lee has been to the doctor about twice in her entire life. She's too damn healthy. I guess I come from weak stock and her lineage is more sturdy, oxen-like (not that she or anyone else in her family resembles an ox or any other sort of draft animal). I guess I digressed a bit in this post, but hopefully my mind is a little more clear and I can head to bed with little trouble.

3 comments:

PrincessGreen17 said...

Katie, you're so funny!

Susan said...

I do this all of the time, too. I am so glad it isn't just me!!! I am bonding with you as I type.

Peyton said...

I have become a big fan of tylenol pm minus the tylenol. It helps me get to sleep in no time. You should try it.