Sunday, October 16, 2005

Who exactly does my Tivo think I am?

For those of you without Tivo I will fill you in on some interesting aspects of the service. Tivo will record programs that it thinks you will enjoy based on programs that you have watched in the past.

Well, my Tivo thinks I am a young African American female.

Every morning I wake up to find that Tivo has taped episodes of Moesha and The Parkers. Every morning. I erase these programs to make room for more programs and the next morning - guess what? Yep. More Moesha. Sometimes I will get a special bonus of spanish language soap operas and Becker. Apparently, Tivo thinks I am also boring. I bet my Tivo mocks me while I am asleep.

It could be worse

Jenny's Tivo thinks she is an elderly, amateur crime sleuth with a penchant for westerns. Her Tivo has taped episodes of Matlock, Murder She Wrote, and her absolute favorite program - Gunsmoke. Hey, every 26 year old female I know loves grainy westerns from the 50s and 60s. Tivo laughs at her too.

What will be on the Tivo next?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie--

Heh! I remember my TiVo thinking I was in the exact same demographic when I first picked it up. Now you get to begin the awfully fun task of Training Your TiVo. Next time an episode of Moesha comes up, before deleting it give it the full three thumbs down.

In fact, what can help you get your box on the path to rectitude is going into the TiVo Suggestions menu under Pick Programs to Record and start dealing out thumbs, both up and down, as you feel appropriate. Check back every couple of days and do it again. Eventually, you'll at least have your TiVo thinking you're someone somewhat like who you actually are.

Peyton said...

My tivo records the woodworkers shop off of PBS... fascinating stuff. Sometimes, I get the GED workshop for my viewing pleasure. Definitely rate programs, it will help.

Unknown said...

A Tivo can be trained? Is it kind of like a Furby?

Katy C. said...

I'm still jealous over the fact that you have working TiVo!

BabyMakes4 said...

when our entertainment is trained to read our minds, do you find it a little scary? will the grocery store start sending us groceries based on previous purchases? eventually, we will not have to think for ourselves at all.

Anonymous said...

tee hee hee. that cracks me up.
rachel c.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that my tivo has appropriately pegged me as a dork. I get all the great "this old house" episodes I can handle.