Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Katie's Book Club

I love to read. Everyone who has even met me briefly knows this fact. I love to read new books and suggest books for other people to read and also to take the suggestions of friends and family. Although I am about three years behind the bandwagon on this one, I just finished a book that was excellent and I am trying to get other people to read it.

Alice Siebold's The Lovely Bones

It was fantastic, moving and I can't wait to read something that moves me like this book did. It is a difficult book to read. I don't mean that I struggled with the mechanics of the book, just the subject matter. For anyone that has lost someone close to them, I think you will find this book very comforting. I am sure several of you have already read this book, but if you haven't I highly recommend it.

Okay, with that said, I am now looking for another great read...so, got any suggestions?

(is it obvious I am going to be a librarian?)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss reading. I spend hours and hours every day on the internet but hardly any time at all on "books." I used to love books. I need to turn off my TV and read books.

I have Amy Tan's newest novel, Saving Fish From Drowning, next in my queue. Apparently this one is different from all of her other novels (which by the way I absolutely loved, if you haven't read them, do it, read them all right now!!) but she's such a magnificent writer that I know this one will be great.

I do want to read The Lovely Bones.

Do you ever just stop to think about how many books there are in the world that you will never get a chance to read? We could quit our jobs and read 24/7 for 50 years and there are still so many we'd miss out on...

Okay, I've gotten carried away here. It's been a long time since I've read a really great book.

Katy C. said...

Just ONE suggestion??? Hmm...I can probably trim it down to one. Is there a particular genre you prefer or will you read anything you can get your hands on?

Unknown said...

Wasn't The Lovely Bones one of Oprah's picks, too?

katie g. said...

I saw him on Oprah yesterday and it certainly sounded interesting. Katy, I will usually read anything aside from fantasy.

Katy C. said...

No fantasy huh. You're missing out! :oP

The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon is good - slight fantasy twist but don't let that get you.

I'll have to check out my shelves when I get home for more non-fantasy suggestions. I've been on a fantasy and chick lit run the last few months. I'm actually out of room on my shelves and books are starting to take over desk tops and any other flat empty surface....

Anonymous said...

yeah. i can't keep it down to one either. hmmm. "the blind assasin", as well as "good bones and simple murders" by Margaret Atwood. "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" is GREAT. oh oh and speaking with the angel. i think we have all of these titles at gorgas. see you tuesday.

the wench

Katy C. said...

I can't believe I forgot this one since I'm reading it currently - Morgan's Run by Colleen McCullough. The beginning is a little slow, but it's a great book.

Peyton said...

I just finished Finance: A Focussed Approach, Chapters 1-5. I need to read something shallow and fast... you know a quick, steamy read. Katie, any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Ragtime, by E.L. Doctorow, is quite good if you're into the history of American from ~1905-1911. And I'll second The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night and throw in Atwood's The Robber Bride.

I will keep my opinion of The Lovely Bones to myself.

BabyMakes4 said...

For a nice, light read Mary Kay Andrews' Hissy Fit is really funny. You won't finish it with any insights into life or anything, but you will be quite amused.