Thursday, October 20, 2005

The heroin of our generation

Well, I think there are two things that can be likened to highly addictive drugs: cable and cell phones. I just paid an enormous cell phone bill and the cable wasn't cheap either. Now, you people know I love some cable. I am not one to complain about the cost of cable as it provides me much happiness and fulfillment (judge me not), but sometimes you gotta say enough is enough! I pay a lot of money for cable and Charter Communications should treat me like a queen. Who do they actually treat me like? Some junkie that they know can't live without the smack their selling. Sad thing is: their right. Fine. I accept that, but...

The cell phone thing is a whole different thing. Cell phones make you stupid. Proven fact. I want you to take a moment and count how many phone numbers you know by heart. I am down to about six. Do you know what this means? You are in serious trouble if you get caught somewhere without ye ole' cell phone. Also, for those of you who don't answer numbers you don't recognize...remember that sometimes people have to call you from different numbers and if you don't answer the g.d. phone we might go insane. This has happened to me more times than I like to remember. Okay, so where was I? Cell phones are too expensive and the service sucks. Real phones are more reliable, but less convenient. I am seriously considering going back to the old days and getting one of those ancient phones lines that works from home. I could reduce my current number of minutes (it currently hovers around 1.5 million - yet it is still not enough) and reduce the amount of dinero I am shelling out every month. Of course, making any changes to my plan means that I will now be trapped into an extension of my current contract and it won't be up until 2015. Jesus, murderers get off with less time. I love my cell phone, but my cell phone doesn't love me. All I can say:

WTF

Update: For the past few weeks Lucy Goosey has been AWOL. At first there was a sign that said "out of town, be back soon!" Well, the sign is gone and I am starting to suspect foul (or should I say fowl?) play. I don't want to jump to conclusions...but the holidays are coming up and this is a notorious anti-bird time of year. Join with me in prayer...

6 comments:

BabyMakes4 said...

Oh no, I've been wondering about Lucy Goosey. I've been very sad that there haven't been any updates.

Do you think if you lost your cell phone, you would also lose friends? Because you have no way to find their numbers and call them and they might just be assuming that if you aren't calling them, that you don't want to talk to them?

katie g. said...

An interesting point. I would hope that my friends would give me the benefit of the doubt and call me even if I had been remiss in my calling duties. Certainly something to take into consideration.

Unknown said...

I am addicted to both of the items you mention, but my main addiction is the internet. In my leisure time at home you will find me on my couch, watching cable TV, with my cell phone and laptop within arm's reach.

You're right though, about how we don't know anybody's number anymore.

Katy C. said...

I don't even know my parents new cell phone numbers. Yet, I can still remember my grandmothers phone number from her old home that was last used when I was around 8. Go figure!

Peyton said...

Katie, I am horrified at the news about the goose. That poor old woman must be devastated. Do you think she filed goose-napping report with the police? Well, please keep us posted on any developments.

Oh, by the way, I missed your call earlier because I was in hour 6 of my 7 hour Negotiation Techniques class. My ass is so soar from sitting in the smallest, hardest desk on the planet. One cool thing about that class is that it only meets for 2 Saturdays. Plus, my teacher is James Brown's and Ray Charles' attorney. So of course, I stayed after class to kiss some ass.

Anonymous said...

joined

the wench