Sunday, October 23, 2005

Trust me, the book was better

Over the past couple of days I have seen several examples of how a book was ruined by a movie. One particular t.v. movie based on a book that I absolutely LOVED was awful. Why did they ruin it? It was so disappointing. Last weekend I saw the movie version of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and was thoroughly bummed. The guys looked like the products of incest (kind of like the children in the movie version of Children in the Attic). I understand that it is often difficult to translate books into movies, but the parts they changed were unnecessary. They attempted to dramatize parts of the book that just didn't need it. So this leads me to my question (and auxiliary question):

What is the worst movie based on a book you have seen?

What book would you like to be made into a movie?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Most recently, Seabiscuit. The movie was thoroughly boring but the book was incredible!!

This doesn't answer your question but I feel the need to throw out the SINGLE example of a movie that I thought was better than the book: Fried Green Tomatoes.

I can't think of a book that I'd like to see made into a movie. I just know that if I book I really love is made into a movie that it will just make me mad when they change everything.

Oh, wait, I thought of something else: I hated the book version of The Notebook, but it translates fairly well into a sappy movie.

BabyMakes4 said...

The Notebook is my favorite book..and I liked the movie, which is very rare. I won't watch any of the other Nicholas Sparks books into movies, though.

I also though Forrest Gump was WAY better than the book because it was nothing like the book.

The worst movie based on a book that comes to mind is The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. The ya-ya's were good, and true to character, but not the rest of the cast.

I agree with Sarah about turning books into movies. Oh wait, this is a given, but the rest of the Harry Potter books.

Katy C. said...

There are so many bad movies that have been based on books it's hard to think of them all.

The movies I tend to enjoy more than the original books are those that the books are written in diary format (ex. Bridget Jones, 13th Warrior, Under the Tuscan Sun). I have a hard time staying focused on books of that style.