Thursday, November 03, 2005

'Tis the Season?

I am not going to make the cliched statement that "Christmas seems to come sooner every year," but I have been seeing signs of the impending holidays. I did not have much holiday spirit last year partly because it was the first Christmas without my mom and I just wasn't feeling the whole "holiday thing."

Things are going to be different this year.

Thus, I have created a short list of Christmas Commandments (ahhh, a bit of a biblical theme if you will)

1. I will watch a minimum of 12 Christmas movies/specials - this should not be too difficult as I will be having my annual Christmas movie marathon - all are welcome to join me.
2. I will not succumb to my father's attempts to suck all of the Christmas spirit out of me.
2a. I will ignore his requests for either "nothing" or "Fig Newtons" for Christmas gifts.
2b. I will also ignore his repeated question "Don't you just hate Christmas?" as well as "Don't you just wish Christmas was already over?"
2c. I will insist on decorating the tree even thought it is a "waste of time" or "pointless."
3. I will actually appreciate the reason for the season and not obsess about finding the perfect gift for everyone. It really is the thought that counts (especially when you are this close to homeless).
4. I will be happy to be home and enjoy spending time with family.
5. Christmas is a magical time and I will remember this at all costs. Magical, I tell you!

Okay, enough commandments. I shall add to this list as I see necessary. So, do you love it or hate and are you own board with loving it this year? Come on...I know you have it in you.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! I'm glad you're getting into the spirit. I KNOW how much you love Christmas. I don't always get into that Christmas spirit, but I'm going to get on board with you this year! I just wish I could make it to the movie marathon (and not just for the chocolate rice krispie treats!). Please let me know when you've made your final selections for this year's marathon, and I'll try to watch them this year too.

Peyton said...

Katie, you are the most enthusiastic Christmas fan I know... it is good to have you back... I haven't been to your Christmas Movie Marathon since 1998 (when you lived in Bruno).

If I had to add a comandment, it would say...
1. I am not going to spend the whole holiday week sitting around staring at my family. This year, I am going to hop in the car and get the hell out of town.

For those of you who don't know, Chrsitmas with my family is the most boring event EVER. We open gifts, I get judged for drinking a glass of wine, and then we all stare at each other out of boredom. The next day is spent driving 3.5 hours to visit family where we all sit around and stare at each other; then we drive the 3.5 hours back. OH... the best part is my grandmother who follows me around and constantly asks about my bowel movements.

Meanwhile, Jamie has a lush of a holiday season with his family... bring out the crown royal...

Katie, don't be too surprised if I escape to your house (and I have a feeling that I will be off of the wagon for that week)...

--Peyton

Katy C. said...

I have a commandment to add...I will actually decorate a tree this year for Christmas. It didn't feel like Christmas to me last year and I think it's because we didn't put up any decorations around our house to make if festive. I think decorations at home go a long way in helping the Christmas spirit along.

Katy C. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BabyMakes4 said...

i'm on board with you. i already watched half of miracle on 34th street last week. is it too early to decorate?

katie g. said...

No, I think anytime after Halloween is an acceptable time to commence decorating. Sarah, Peyton, and Katy, I am very glad that ya'll are with me on the Christmas thing! 'Tis the season to be jolly....

PrincessGreen17 said...

Decorating for Christmas is always one of my favorite things to do! Trying to find the perfect gift for everyone is not. I remember your chocolate Rice Krispie treats! They are the BEST!

Peyton said...

Katie, I like your dirty girlscouts... they are yummy, that sounds like a perfect Christmas Movie Marathon drink... or just a perfect drink...

Katy C. said...

Dirty Girlscouts? That sounds intreging...

Anonymous said...

Oi, when is the CHristmas movie marathon? Perhaps I can steal my granny's car and make my way down to her home state for the event. Since this is my first Christmas in 3 years north of the equator, I am determined that it will be GREAT and that it will snow. Katie-- we should get together and bake. I think I am obligated to fulfill my quota of zuchinni bread, but afterwards I'm free. Nipple cookies, fruit cake or cocola cake sound good? What did my grandmother call her special chexmix?

katie g. said...

Granny calls it Nuts and Bolts, right? I am all about making this a GREAT Christmas. Last year left something to be desired and I am really stoked that you will be home!
-Katy, Dirty Girl Scouts are a delicious combination of equal parts Kahlua, Bailey's, and Creme de Menthe. Drink as a shot, repeat as necessary (tastes like a thin mint cookie, hence the name).

Katy C. said...

Oh dear lord, I did NOT need to know about that particular shot. Thin Mints are a particular weakness of mine. Too bad I'm stuck at an out of town wedding shower this weekend or I'd take this recipe for a spin!

Anonymous said...

we need to add some new flicks to the xmas movie party. obviously, it's a wonderful life and the charlie brown xmas movie are a must. hmmm. must think on this.

Anonymous said...

Man, just reading along has got me hyped. I'll be in a winter wonderland for xmas. Lucky me! Fill me in on the movies, I'll watch along with you. Miracle on 34th is all time fave. But somehow over the years wonderful life has come in close second. This will be a good Christmas Katie!

Unknown said...

1. I almost bought It's a Wonderful Life at Best Buy this weekend

2. A drink I've learned about since I moved to Where It's Really Cold is hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps. I think some people call it a peppermint stick, or something. Anyway, you might want to think about serving that at your party. Or, just drink it while you bake with Lee!!

3. I'm ready to decorate now!!!