Friday, April 06, 2007

Don't push the button

Why do we do it? Why do we do or say things that we do? For example, you walk up to an elevator and there are several people already there. You push the button. You know someone else has already pushed the button, but you just can't help yourself. You have to do it. You push the button or you really want to and restrain yourself. Why? I don't know, I think it is because there is a part of us that really thinks that if we touch the button it will actually make a difference; that we will somehow influence the speed at which the elevator will get to the desired floor. Another example of unexplainable human behavior is when we ask a question that we already know the answer to. I do it all the time. Someone asks me a question and I heard them, but I still say "what?" and then I ANSWER the question. They don't even have to repeat the question. Do I know why we do these things? No. But I'm not afraid to ask the hard questions.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If the librarian thing doesn't work out, maybe you should become an anthropologist.

Katy C. said...

I'm a fan of the "huh?" vs. the "what?"