Thursday, July 06, 2006

Bye-bye, Goodbye

Have you ever noticed on television shows that the characters rarely say "bye" on the phone? Jenny always noted that 7th Heaven was one of the worst examples of this phenomenon. They have all of these dramatic conversations and then just hang up the phone. Every one of the characters does this and it drives me crazy. Well, imagine my dismay when it has come to my attention that this is not just something that happens on t.v. I have noticed that I have been on the phone with several people in the past few weeks and they haven't said "goodbye" or some variation of the word. I know it really means nothing, but the call ends so abruptly and it kind of hurts my feelings. My hurt feelings don't last more than a couple of minutes, but it just seems like common curtesy. Shall we bring the goodbye back?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes!!! I always say bye on the phone!! Otherwise, how do you know that both parties are finished with the conversation?

BabyMakes4 said...

i always say bye too. but i rarely say bye-bye. do you say that? or buh-bye? i know someone who used to say that. in the hospital, when i have to call the nurses, they rarely say bye. but that's usually because by the time i'm finished talking to them, they are irritated with me because i've actually asked them to DO something that requires them getting off of their butts. sorry, got of on a little tangent there.

BYE!

Avery's mom said...

its a sign of the times I guess.
but what is the curtesy given when text messaging?

Anonymous said...

I don't do the whole "bye" thing. Click.

katie g. said...

Oh. So you don't "DO the whole 'bye' THING?" I guess it is probably good we don't talk on the phone that often, Mr. Fancy Pants. My feelings would get hurt too often...