Monday, May 14, 2007

Time marches on...

Several months ago I posted about my Dad's dog, Murphy and his diagnosis of cancer. At first, it was easy to put it out of my mind and pretend that nothing was wrong with him. Unfortunately, my brother called on Saturday and told me that Murphy is blind. The vet says that the cancer has spread enough that it is compromising his optic nerve. It is undeniable proof that the cancer is moving rapidly. This poor, sweet, dog has lost his vision and I can't imagine how distressing it must be to him. No one can explain what is going on to him and I just want to hug him and carry him around the house so he doesn't have to be afraid. Dad says he stays really close to him in the bed - probably because he is unsure about where the edges are. He has also been bumping around the house trying to find his way. I am heading home this weekend and I know it will be quite upsetting. I don't think I am really ready to let go of the last tangible connection to my mom.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's so sad when our pets get old. Our family cat James probably won't be with us much longer.